What is Emotional Health?
Emotional health is a state of psychological functioning, a concept synonymous with wellbeing and is vital to living a life of wholeness, balance, and contentment. It’s also an extension of mental health. It affects how we think and feel and how well we cope with life’s highs and lows.
Emotional health influences our mood, self-beliefs and performance levels. According to BelongTo.org, a high level of emotional health is “a state of wellbeing which enables an individual to be able to function in society and meet the demands of everyday life.
Conditions such as depression and anxiety are usually influenced by emotional health. For example if someone with depression has a great day they will typically feel happier in themselves and therefore less depressed.
How To Improve Your Emotional Health?
Improving emotional health is similar to improving physical health. For instance someone who goes to the gym is more likely to have optimum physical health compared to someone who doesn’t. Of course this will vary based on a number of things but demonstrates a crucial factor – consistency. The more consistent you are with doing positive feel good activities – the more consistent you will feel good.
Achieving good emotional health and wellbeing is an ongoing process that will require you to identify your emotions and shape up how you think about them and how you act or don’t act on them. Some tips for creating your own emotional health definition and living it include:
- Acknowledging your personal strengths and building on them
- Realistically seeing the positive in bad situations
- Developing the courage to define and live life with a sense of purpose
- Honing resiliency, the ability to learn from and bounce back from setbacks as well as flexibility in facing challenges
- Seeing the good in yourself and developing a healthy self-image
- Building a social network of good friends and family
- Creating a set of coping skills for dealing with mental health difficulties and external stress
- Making time to do the hobbies and interest you love and enjoy
Benefits of Emotional Health
Whilst it may take some work, improving your emotional health will lighten your mood and help you to flourish in every aspect of your life. The increased resilience and positive attitude will equipped you with great tools to take on whatever challenges comes your way.